Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Genesis of my LOTRO career.

Like many people, I fell in love with the Lord of the Rings after I watched Peter Jackson’s Fellowship of the Ring. I went through a phase of Tolkien obsession. I eventually managed to stumble upon the development of Middle-Earth Online. I never really played RPGs and never had touched an MMORPG let alone knew what they even were. MEO intrigued me; I liked the idea of being your own character in a persistent world. I decided that it would be cool to be a Ranger of the North type of character. A rugged bowman that is also skilled with the blade. However, MEO drifted from memory and I moved on . . .

Garadson Elvellon. Hunter, Level 65
In 2008 I was growing tired of my first-person shooters (I was and still am a dedicated Battlefield fanatic, both console and pc.). I don’t recall how I came across it, but I discovered LOTRO for the first time. After a trial-account setup and an overnight of downloading I was in. When I chose my server I had no idea what I was actually doing. I thought that when I chose Nimrodel, that’s where I would begin my character; under the mallorn trees of Lothlórien. I soon discovered that I was bound to the players of Nimrodel forever. When creating my character I remembered my old desire to play the rugged ranger so Garadson of Gondor the Hunter was birthed. I was incredibly inexperienced. I specifically remember getting to level 14 and trying to solo the Othrongroth instance at the end of Book One just before my trial account expired. For some reason I never felt compelled to really study stats or skills. I always played by myself, never looking for help even when I needed it. I was playing LOTRO as an MMORPG without the MMO part . . .


Talmidim Elvellon. Champion, Level 38.
After my trial account expired I had to take a break from electronics because I was leaving to work at a camp as a senior cabin leader. After those two long and fulfilling months I returned home and to LOTRO. I renewed my account and continued my adventures in middle-earth. The scale of the game excited me; never had I played a game so open and so full of exploration. When I made it to the lone-lands I got an invite from an officer of the Sons of Durin, a very old and very populated kinship on Nimrodel. I accepted the invite and still am in SoD to this day. The people of SoD were super helpful so I became a little more open to having interaction with other players.  I became more experienced and learned a little more about the mechanics of game. I was working on earning the last few pieces of my Fem armour set when the Mines of Moria expansion came out. Eventually I ventured through the Hollin Gate and into the deep dark of Moria. Moria taught me my class quite well. The confined spaces and the somewhat large density of mobs showed me how to maximize my skills. The first end-game instance I ever did was the Grand-Stair (original I know). I was level 58 and starting on the Lothlórien quests when someone in the kin asked for some DPS for Igash on hard-mode. I took a leap and said that I’d go. Sure enough we downed Igash and I won the roll for the radiance barter coin as well as got the cloak: Jubut-Rud and an off-hand sword. I was pretty excited, it was the first time I tasted that sweet end-game loot and I wanted more. Over the coming month I ran many of the Moria instances many times over but never was successful in obtaining any rad gear other than my boots. Summer came again and I went down to California with my family for a few weeks taking a break from LOTRO in the process.

Garduil's Beginnings.
When I came back I bought a new laptop for university and started my first serious alt: Garduil of Lórien (I was growing bored of my hunter). Garduil was a warden and for the most part I enjoyed the class. I took it upon myself to get him to end-game by the end of the month before I was off for my first year of University. I was going at a pretty good rate blasting through he content which took me forever the first time. When I got to level 31ish I ran Garth Agarwen for the first time ever. The guardian that was tanking for us soon became a leveling buddy of mine and his girlfriend joined us at level 35ish. It was their first time through the game so I drew on my little experience to guide us through the rest of the content. I got Garduil to level 51 before I had to go to university. When I got to university I discovered that they had some serious firewalls and some lame internet rules in my residence so I was forced to take an extended break from LOTRO. I was dismayed to learn that Siege of Mirkwood had been released in my absence. I was out of touch when I started playing again in the spring. I got my warden to level 62 when I realized that the class wasn’t doing me any good. I was terrible at tanking, partially because my computer lagged a lot and every instance I seemed to join there was always a 65 tank that was willing to do it. So I never really got into my warden’s end-game responsibilities.
Garduil the Valiant. Warden, Level 62

So that brings me to now. I’ve taken some time off LOTRO here and there; I have my hunter now at 65 who now is somewhat decently geared. I conned my roommate to join since free-to-play so I have some characters around level 30 because of him. I started getting serious about leveling my champion: Talmidim who is now at level 38 and just finished questing in Evendim. My warden is still sitting at level 62. I myself have since about a month ago started to listen to Merric and Goldenstar’s “A Casual Stroll to Mordor” which has refueled my drive to play LOTRO. They also have been an inspiration for this little blog that is sitting in the corner of the internet. I look to post in the future opinions and views on things coming up in LOTRO as well as my experiences in-game. Maybe some tips, discoveries, or funny happenings that seem to find their way into my game-time will make it on here as well. If you happen to run into me on the Nimrodel server, don't be shy and send me a tell!



Keep your stick on the ice,
 -Garrison.



1 comment:

  1. Welcome to blogging garrison. I hope you do well.

    ReplyDelete